For whatever reason, it hardly ever rains at the wrong time on a wedding day. Maybe it’s because 95% of my weddings are in the driest state of the driest continent on earth, actually, that’s almost certainly the reason, but even when rain is forecast it always seems to dodge my weddings when it needs to. Vanessa and Tim’s Chapel Hill wedding was the exception that makes the rule.
The day got off to a great start when my car broke down on the way to McLaren Vale, I guess it had to happen eventually. Fortunately, I was only 5 minutes away from Chapel Hill which is where all the preparations, the ceremony and reception were being held, so once I summoned an Uber to take me there I didn’t have to worry about transport throughout the day. (Shout out to my super awesome parents and uncle who bailed me out by driving to McLaren Vale to leave me a car and arrange an RAA tow for my stranded vehicle).
I was first to arrive at the venue, Vanessa and Tim and the gang were getting hair and makeup and who knows what done. Once everyone else got there it was action stations. Vanessa is from Hong Kong and as a result, Tim and his groomsmen were required to undertake a series of challenges devised by the bridesmaids in order to gain access to the bride. This is basically a photographer’s dream, without fail this tradition is filled with so much laughter and so many moments that it’s impossible not to capture some epic people shots.
Next, it was time to get dressed and get a few photos before the ceremony. This is when the rain came, and came and came. Fortunately, there were a few undercover areas we could use, and there was a break in the weather during the reception that allowed us to duck out for 20 minutes and get some shots among the vines.
At the end of the day though, bad weather affects maybe 10% of the day, the other 90% is exactly the same. The guests are the same, the moments are just as magic, some of the photos are different by necessity but they’re not necessarily better or worse, just different. And of course, the bride and groom get to marry each other, make some promises in front of everyone they love and party late into the night.
Tim’s dad is none other than Russell from the iconic Russell’s Pizza in Willunga. I managed to bail him up for a while at the reception to talk pizza which was a nice change up, it’s normally dads and uncles bailing me up to talk photography 🙂